Mold On Floor Cleanup

How to Fix a Water Damaged Floor

mold water damaged floor

If you have a water damaged floor, you need to get it fixed immediately. Mold will grow within 48 to 72 hours on any household materials. All materials with a moisture level of 16 percent or higher are susceptible. Wood is not the only material susceptible to damage from water, as laminate floors are even more susceptible. While you can fix a wooden floor after water damage, you can’t do the same for a laminate floor.


Mold grows on organic materials that have trapped moisture. This includes hardwood floors. It doesn’t take a major water damage to cause mold to grow on your floors. While it is never recommended to leave water sitting on your floor for a prolonged period of time, the key to preventing the growth of mold is to prevent it from occurring in the first place.

The first step in preventing mold and moisture from damaging your flooring is to increase the amount of air flow in the area. If possible, use a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture. But be aware that fans may spread mold spores and should be avoided by anyone with a compromised immune system. If your flooring is seriously damaged, you may need to remove it to assess the extent of the problem. This will reveal the full extent of the damage, and you’ll be sure there are no nasty or toxic growths underneath. If the damage is extensive, it may be time to replace the flooring altogether.


In some cases, people with a mold-damaged floor may be at risk for aspergillosis. In this condition, fungus spores grow faster than the immune system can destroy them. This is particularly dangerous for people with weakened immune systems. The fungus can cause inflammation and other health consequences.

In such a situation, immediate medical treatment is essential. It is also important to get the affected area cleaned with PPE. This means wearing a full-body disposal suit that covers the head and feet. This will prevent accidental infection if spores are disturbed while working on the area. Next, wipe down the affected area with a solution of fungal mold cleaner or bleach.

Stachybotrys chartarum

Having a Stachybotrys chartarum-infested floor in your home is a serious problem. This fungus is notorious for producing mycotoxins, which cause illness in humans and animals. Over the years, evidence has accumulated to prove that this fungus is a major source of mold problems in homes and is one of the leading causes of sick building syndrome. A series of outbreaks in Cleveland from 1993 to 1994 raised awareness of home molds, and recent media coverage has made the subject of toxic molds a hot topic.

The New York Times published a front page story about Stachybotrys chartarum contamination in homes on August 12, 2001, May 5, 1996, and June 1997. A nationally syndicated comic strip, “Rex Morgan,” also aired several episodes focusing on this mold. Several television news shows have also aired whole programs about the potential health risks of Stachybotrys-contaminated floors. These stories and others have prompted multimillion-dollar lawsuits and caused serious problems for homeowners.

Mold On Nailed floors

If your floors have water damage, you may find a small amount of mold growing on them. While you may be able to remove small amounts of water with a rag or a mop, if the water damage is large, you will need to call in a professional for mold removal. Professionals are highly trained and experienced in the removal of mold and will use chemicals that kill off the mold both on the surface and in the air around it. This will prevent further damage and odor from developing. However, the process can be expensive.

The EPA recommends that you hire a professional for mold remediation. Although there are some DIY solutions available, you may not have the time to do it yourself. If the area is only a few square feet, you may be able to clean the area yourself.

Mold On Hardwood floors

If you’ve discovered mold in your hardwood floors, you need professional help to clean and restore them. The initial step involves assessing the moisture level in your floors and determining the source of the water. Water damage affects all kinds of flooring differently, so it’s important to know exactly how much moisture your floors contain. Typically, the moisture content in a wood floor fluctuates between six and twelve percent. But a flooded hardwood floor can have a moisture content as high as forty percent. That’s enough to cause nails to lift or glue to release. Tongue and groove floors can also cup or buckle.

The odor that comes from underneath the hardwood floors is another sign that the wood beneath is saturated with water. This may signal the presence of mold. In addition, look for stains on the wood. You should also check for nails sticking out of the floor boards. Finally, assess the length of time the wood has been exposed to water. If the water was present for an extended period of time, the damage can become more severe. Once you have assessed the level of water damage, you can determine the best way to repair the hardwood flooring.

Mold On Laminate floors

If you notice a stain or other signs of mold on your laminate floors, it’s important to act quickly. Once a surface is wet, mold spores will grow within 48 hours. It’s important to clean up the water as soon as possible, and to keep the floor as dry as possible. Keeping the room as cool as possible will also help prevent the growth of mold.

The first step is to find all the areas that are affected by the water. If you’re not able to find all the spots, they will continue to grow and become worse. If the mold grows, the damage could become even more extensive and require more extensive repairs. Fortunately, there are companies that can provide emergency mold removal services.